Position Title: Data Technician 1
Objective: The data technician is involved with the acquisition and maintenance of large amounts of clinical data and specimens. The work engages multiple skills and a wide-range of project knowledge. These multiple functions require a significant degree of flexibility to complete complex tasks.
Critical Element 1
- Review electronic & paper medical records for medical data and enter into electronic database.
Critical Element 2
- Assist in maintaining a vast quantity of patient oriented data used in support of analytical and/or research projects related to prostate cancer.
Critical Element 3
- Work effectively with other team members as part of a team.
- Troubleshoot and modify protocol implementation when necessary.
- Recommend new methods for collection and documentation of data.
- Assist other research personnel.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
This position is ideal for a highly motivated individual who may be taking a year or two off between degrees. This position gives an opportunity to work with a highly productive and dynamic team of MD’s, PhD’s, and research scientists. The candidate will gain considerable knowledge of clinical research methods and prostate cancer biology and urology. Data technicians may have the opportunity to shadow in the OR. Seminars and other learning opportunities may also be available.
Minimum Educational Requirement: Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Organized and detail oriented
- Basic computer skills
- Familiarity with MS Access and MS Excel
Supervisory Controls: The principal investigator and clinical research coordinator are responsible for the overall supervision of the work and workload of the data technician. The incumbent is expected to meet deadlines on routine duties and to use his/her own initiative in completing work. Work may be reviewed by any member of the principal investigator’s research team.
Scope and Effect: The major purpose of these assignments is to conduct VA-relevant clinical research projects as conceived and defined by the principal investigators. The work of the incumbent contributes to the local and national research mission of the VA hospital.
Employees work for the Institute for Medical Research and will have an appointment at the Durham VA Medical Center. Please visit www.imr.org for information about employee benefits. Multiple job vacancies are available. Expected start date in late spring or early summer. We do not sponsor applicants for work visas. We are an equal-opportunity employer.
Please forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org citing “Data Tech 1 Job Application” in the subject line.