Educational Counselors - Green Ivy Educational Consulting, Los Altos, CA
At Green Ivy Educational Consulting (www.greenivyed.com), we are looking two amazing educational counselors who are incredibly intelligent, enthusiastic, and positive to work in our office. We are a small office, but our work has been featured in the NYTimes, Washington Post, CNBC, Chicago Tribune, ABC News, USA Today. NPR, and others. Here's a video where founder Ana Homayoun talks about the work.
We work with junior high, high school, and college students to help them develop time-management, study and organizational skills as well as helping them with individual subject work. Our focus is on helping students develop a sense of purpose and creating opportunities for intrinsic motivation. Our founder, Ana Homayoun, is the author of several acclaimed books on teen and young adult issues. Our work as counselors is focused on encouraging our new generation of students be active and engaged members of their school and greater community.
What sets this job apart from others? It is fun and rewarding, with an inclusive and warm staff and a cozy office in charming downtown (the kind you see in movies).We meet students in our friendly, warm office in the heart of the Silicon Valley and our office is fully stocked with all the materials to support student success.
Our work combines direct work with students - mostly junior high and high school students - with coaching and mentoring around executive functioning, organization and time-management, social media wellness, and community engagement. Our staff members make a direct impact on improving the lives of students - and our success stories are incredible. Our work improves self-confidence, encourages life-long learning and engagement, and supports overall wellness. Our students have improved their GPAs from a 2.5 to a 3.6, have increased over 300 points on the SATs (out of 1600), and set audacious goals for themselves (like playing Division 1 basketball after being on the junior varsity team as a sophomore) and achieved them!
Sound intriguing? We are looking for several dynamic, personable individuals to join our group beginning July 2019 (start date: July 15, 2019) in Los Altos, CA (near Palo Alto, CA and Stanford University). We work directly with students Sunday-Thursday, and there is significant training before we begin and throughout the year. Please note: job hours are in the afternoons/evenings and on Sundays as we work around student schedules. Occasional (not frequent Saturdays).
Our staff is enthusiastic about direct-service work with middle school and high school students, and usually stay with us for several years. We're committed to the personal development of our staff as well as our students, and offer incentives including an Invest In YOUrself education and self-development bonus of up to $1200/year.
- Meet with students on a weekly/twice weekly basis
- Help students develop executive functioning, study skills and time-management skills
- Offer academic support (math, writing, test preparation) as needed
- Offer sincere positive reinforcement and encouragement while expecting results
- Help students with content, making sure students understand concepts and how to master material
Necessary Qualifications, Skills and Attributes:
- Masters Degree preferred in counseling psychology, social work, education preferred
- Genuine interest in making a difference
- Outstanding communication and problem solving skills
- Personable, warm and approachable personality
- Active, sense of humor
- Team player with strong management and leadership skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Passion for helping others
- Incredibly reliable, responsible and able to make a steady commitment
- Previous experience tutoring, coaching, and/or working with young people
- Highly competitive wage
- Health insurance, 401K and other incentives
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter stating why this position interests you, highlighting any relevant experience, and your particular subject expertise to firstname.lastname@example.org.