Funded Summer Research - Rutgers Computational Cognitive Development Lab
The Computational Cognitive Development Lab directed by Dr. Elizabeth Bonawitz at Rutgers University - Newark is seeking one to two motivated undergraduate students for a funded summer research program.
Our main goal in the funded research is to bring both computational modeling and empirical research to bear on the question, what drives efficient active exploration in childhood. This work involves recruiting young children, conducting multi-visit experiments with children, and entering and coding the collected data. This research provides a unique experience for undergraduate students to have hands-on experience interacting with young children and conducting scientific research.
Students will work closely with post-doc and graduate student mentors and learn about all aspects of the research process, including research design, subject recruitment, stimulus generation, data collection, data entry, coding, and statistical analysis. Additionally, students will be encouraged to discuss and learn about research topics in the broader cognitive development field with their mentors.
To be eligible for the Rutgers summer research program, applicants must:
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- be a full-time student (and be returning to school in the fall)
- have experience working with young children (relevant research experience preferred)
- commit to the full 35 hr/ week 8-week internship, which will include at least some weekends (tentative dates June 17th - August 12th)
The lab will provide a $385/week stipend for the selected students. However, we unfortunately cannot provide housing for the visiting students. Therefore this position is especially ideal for students that are already planning to be in the NJ-NYC area over the summer.
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- cover letter describing interests and motivation for applying
- CV or resume with a focus on relevant experiences (research & child experiences)
- transcript (unofficial is fine)
- one letter of recommendation (emailed directly to email@example.com with the applicant's name in the title)
Applications received before April 22nd are guaranteed to be fully considered.